2017 Guide to Chambers' Complaints Handling
2 CPD Hours
Competencies/Learning Objectives - Legal knowledge and skills, Practice management, Working with clients and others, Ethics, Professionalism and Judgement
This course provides an overview guide to the Complaints Handling regime for Chambers - suitable for Barristers and Chambers' Staff.
Aiming to provide a complete, concise guide to the arrangements, including the BSB Handbook (introduced in January 2014) and Code Guidance, the historical but still applicable mandatory protocol and the Bar Standards Board's monitoring powers, as well as the Legal Ombudsman's role. This course will help individual barristers familiarise themselves with the rules, to ensure that Chambers and Sole practitioners are handling complaints appropriately.
In addition, the course offers tools to help you: a sample complaints record, flowchart and checklist.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Identify what is a complaint?
- Understand the complaints handling requirements of the BSB Handbook and 9th Edition of the Code of Conduct (and the historical mandatory protocol)
- Understand how to operate an effective complaints procedure
- Approach complaints prevention and risk analysis effectively
- Comprehend the role of the Bar Standards Board in monitoring and auditing Chambers' complaints procedures.
- Appreciate the role of the Legal Ombudsman and the Bar Standards Board in considering complaints.
- Understand the impact of the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Amendment) Regulations 2015.
Course updated: January 2017
About the Author:
Amanda Millmore was called to the Bar in 1996 and is currently non-practising. She was previously a tenant in the Chambers of Timothy Raggatt Q.C. at 4 Kings Bench Walk, where she practised in the areas of Family Law, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for 8 years. In 2015 Amanda joined the School of Law at the University of Reading as a lecturer and teaching fellow. She is also the author of a number of other courses for LegalTraining. Amanda can be found on LinkedIn here.